Challenge Week 3: Quote

March28

“I can see the brown-tinged water rushing through one pipe, disappearing into the machine and emerging clear. Both of us watch the purification happen, and I wonder if he is thinking what I am: that it would be nice if life worked that way, stripping the dirt from our lives and sending us out to the world clean. But some dirt is destined to linger.” Insurgent by Veronica Roth in Tris’s point of view.
(Tris is the main character and she is talking about her problems in life.)

This quote captivated my imagination since the moment I laid eyes on it. This quote has a very true meaning to life. We are all “dirty” or have “dirt” in our lives and no matter how hard you try, stripping it all does not work.

My favorite part of this amazing quote is “But some dirt is destined to linger”. It shows that the author, Veronica Roth, understands how life is not simple. She shows that life is a bowl of cherries meaning cherries are nice and sweet but they do have pits. The pits are the “dirt” that Veronica Roth talks about in this quote.

If she had just ended the quote without that last bit, it would have been still a spectacular quote but it would lack the effect that it gives the reader when they get to that part of the book. The quote made me think of real life situations all around the world. Like, all kinds of people steal, cheat and pretend they are someone else, that is our “dirt” in the world. We all have “dirt” in ourselves from doing bad things and we all must try hard to bring this “dirt” to a minimal.

I chose this wonderful quote because we can all relate to a time where we have had some “dirt” creep into our lives. This quote taught me to understand that people are not perfect. It opened my eyes to a new meaning of life. We all need to understand that we have “dirt” in our lives and we have to accept it and eventually start to get rid of it.

“…that it would be nice if life worked that way, stripping the dirt from our lives and sending us out to the world clean. But some dirt is destined to linger.”

“But some dirt is destined to linger.”

One Comment to

“Challenge Week 3: Quote”

1. March 29th, 2014 at 8:17 am      Reply Grand-maman Says:

Here is a quote where the author probably took the idea of cherries:

Erma Bombeck, ‘Life is but a bowl of cherries’.

Beautiful reflexion, my dear Izadora!

Grand-maman

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar